Duck and Sour Cherry Casserole
This spiced casserole makes for a great warming winter meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp Chinese five spice powder
4 duck legs, skin removed
1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
150g smoked bacon lardons
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
20g root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
425g can pitted cherries in light syrup
300ml Badger Poacher’s Choice Ale
1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
Mashed potato and green beans, to serve
Badger Poacher’s Choice Ale, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160C, fan 140C, gas 3.
- On a plate mix the flour and Chinese five spice with some seasoning.
- Toss the legs in the flour, reserving any that is left over. Brown the duck legs on both sides in the oil in a casserole pan and remove.
- Add the shallots and lardons into the same pan and brown.
- Drain off any fat, and stir in the remaining flour with the garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for 30 seconds before adding in the syrup of the cherries, reserving the cherries for later, boil until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the duck legs back in, stir in the Badger Poacher’s Choice Ale with the sugar, and bring to the boil.
- Cover and place in the oven for an hour, remove the lid and cook for a further hour, stirring in the cherries for the final 30 minutes of cooking.
- Serve with mashed potato and green beans and a glass of Badger Poacher’s Choice Ale
Tip: To remove the skin from the duck legs, ease your thumbs under the skin and gradually pull the skin away, trimming any fat with a knife.
Goes great with: