Poacher’s Pearl Barley and Ox Cheek Stew
Cook Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
100g pearl barley
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 kg ox cheek, trimmed and cut into 3 - 4cm chunks
200g smoked bacon lardons
2 banana shallots, sliced
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
300ml Badger Poacher’s Choice Ale
300ml beef stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
3 fresh bay leaves
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 160C, fan 140C, gas 3.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large casserole pot and brown the meat all over in batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and brown the bacon, shallots, celery and carrots until golden and return the meat to the pot.
- Stir in the flour, before gradually stirring in the Badger poacher’s choice ale with the stock, followed by the tomatoes, garlic, herbs and vinegar and season.
- Bring to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the pearl barley and cook for a further hour until the meat is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with seasonal vegetables.