Welsh Rarebit with Ham
Welsh rarebit gets an update with Blandford Flyer’s ginger bite.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
25g salted butter
25g plain flour
100ml Badger Blandford Flyer Ale
1 tsp English mustard
3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce and extra to serve
a good pinch of cayenne pepper
100g Denhay traditional mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1 large egg, separated
4 thick slices of white bread
4 slices of good quality ham
Badger Blandford Flyer Ale, to serve
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour and cook over a gentle heat for a minute.
- Gradually whisk in Badger Blandford Flyer Ale to make a thick sauce, and cook for a further minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, cheese and egg yolk.
- Whisk the egg white and fold in to the cheese sauce with a metal spoon.
- Meanwhile toast the bread under a preheated medium grill on one side.
- Turn over and top each slice with ham followed by the cheese mixture and grill until browned. Serve immediately with extra Worcestershire sauce and a glass of Badger Blandford Flyer Ale.
Tip: As an alternative spread the toast with a little tomato chutney before topping with the ham and cheese mixture.
Goes great with: