Legendary Mac ’n' Cheese
You can't beat a deliciously indulgent Mac 'n' Cheese on those cold winter evenings, the perfect comfort food!
Cook Time: 35 minutes
300g dried macaroni
50g plain flour
2 bay leaves
450ml whole milk
150ml Badger Leaping Legend Ale
200g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
100g Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 slices of good quality ham, roughly chopped
3 heaped tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
Green salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, fan 180C, gas 6.
2. Cook the macaroni for 2 minutes less than recommended on the pack in salted water and drain.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and bay leaves and cook for 30 seconds. Off the heat gradually whisk in the milk to make a lump free sauce. Return to the heat and whisk in the Badger Leaping Legend Ale.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat. Discard the bay leaves and stir in the Cheddar and two thirds of the Parmesan cheese with the Dijon, cayenne, tomatoes and ham.
5. Stir in the macaroni, season to taste and pour into a greased large oven proof dish.
6. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden and bubbling. To brown a little more if needed, place under a preheated grill.
7. Serve immediately with a green salad.